Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

 
Up next on the cupcake list: Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.  I scoured the web for the "best" vanilla cupcake recipe I could find.  I read a lot about Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Cupcakes.  They look incredible, but I read mixed reviews.  I finally decided to try this recipe.  This recipe called for yogurt, and I wasn't sure how that would turn out.  They took much longer to bake then the suggested 15-20 minutes...I think it was more like 25 minutes.  Once cooled, I frosted them with this Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting.  Scroll all the way to the bottom for the recipe. I used my standard Nestle Cocoa Powder to create the frosting, I don't buy into the Premium Cocoa Powder hype! :)  Chocolate is chocolate and that's fine with me!
Verdict:  The yogurt gave the cupcakes a very dense texture.  They didn't puff up like you would expect a cupcake to, which could have contributed to the longer bake time.  They weren't super sweet, and we could actually eat more than one at a time.  The frosting had a very distinct cream cheese flavor.  It was very easy to pipe and had a nice smooth, creamy texture.  I used my Wilton Jumbo 1M tip for the piping.  They turned out much cuter than the previous batch.  We kept the cupcakes stored in the refrigerator so that the cream cheese frosting would stay cold.  C said that he preferred the cupcakes cold!  Even Little Man had a whole cupcake, sans frosting.  His tummy isn't sold on chocolate just yet, so we try to avoid it when we can!
If you are looking for a good go-to cupcake that isn't super sweet, this may be your cupcake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails