Sunday, October 17, 2010

"I Forgot the Cashews" Chicken

 Does anyone see anything missing in the photo above.  My plan was to make cashew chicken, but I forgot the stinking cashews.  Who does that?  Apparently someone in a hurry to get dinner on the table.  Honestly it didn't cross my mind that I was making Cashew Chicken and didn't even get the cashews out of the pantry!  Oh well, call it Chicken if you will...it still tasted great.  I love Rachael Ray's Park City Cashew Chicken recipe, but change it up a bit.  Here's my adapted version.
Cashew Chicken
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 lbs. chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle powder (I used Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup cashews (A must for cashew chicken)
Your favorite rice (I chose Minute Brown Rice in the microwave, sticking with my easy dinner theme)
Directions:
Heat large skillet over high heat.  Add the olive oil then the chicken.  Brown the chicken, then add the onion, bell pepper and garlic.  Cook for 3-4 minutes then add the chipotle powder and cumin.  Add the honey and maple syrup, stir and turn off the heat.  Add the cashews and serve!

I was so excited to present this at the dinner table tonight...
and then C looked at me very politely and asked "Are there any cashews in it?"  I didn't know what to say..."Um, yep it's cashew chicken right?"  Nope, I just laughed and said darn I forgot.  Other than that mishap, it was fantastic.  We love the kick that comes from the chipotle powder.  If you can't find that, you can always use a little chipotle in adobo from the can.  I will warn you though, it can be very spicy.  The last time I made this dish with it, I couldn't even it it.  That's why I play it safe with the powder.  You can always add more for those who like it extra spicy, just pass it around the dinner table.  We serve it over brown rice with a few egg rolls on the side.
As Rachael Ray says, it's "Make Your Own Take-out Night."  And it's ready in just 30 minutes, quicker than they can deliver to my house, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails